Index: [Article Count Order] [Thread]

Date:  Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:05:36 +0200
From:  "Taco Scargo" <taco (at mark) scargo.nl>
Subject:  [coba-e:09680] Re: Upgrade to CentOS5
To:  <coba-e (at mark) bluequartz.org>

Hello Chris, hello blues,

> Well 210 quid but still sounds steep, but not as steep as 710 quid for
> unlimited clustering...

The pricepoint Michael and Brian set their products is their own choice, and
I am sure both of them have thought over the pricing model to use to be
fair.
If not, they would not sell (m)any, which would not 'pay their rent' at the
end. Don't forget you are not only paying for the work they put in it, but
(I guess) also for them supporting the product in one way or another.
Have a look what Red Hat charges for their 'enterprise linux' products. I
know the CentOS project provides you with the same product, but you are also
paying for the service.
And if everyone would use CentOS, no new releases and patches would be
released for its 'mother product' RHEL.

> I understand that the chaps must have put some work into this, but most of
> it is opensource..  I wonder if they are going to be sending any funds to
> the opensource projects that they are using?
A big misunderstanding by a lot of people is that opensource means free as
in free beer.
Open Source gives you the freedom to modify the source yourself and not be
dependant (locked in) to a contract with the supplier.
The BQ license (Sun BSD) allows anyone to use the source, but leaves it up
to them wether they release their modifications back as opensource.
It allows anyone to sell the resulting product at any price they want.

I myself would have loved to get the features that Michael and Brian have
created in the 'normal' BQ distribution. This would have increased the
deployment of the technology they created/implemented much more than now.
But reality is different. You ofcourse also have an option to re-install
your server with Virtuozzo and Plesk. Aventurine is based on OpenVZ, the
open source version of Virtuozzo.
Just calculate what that would cost you and you will see that Solarspeed's
price isn't that bad.

And how long do you generally use a virtual hosting server ? Divide the
price by the number of months to use a hosting server and calculate what you
save using virtualization !
Ofcourse you are free to install a plain CentOS yourself, install the free
VMWare server, and install the kindly and freely provided Nuonce BQ
installer on the virtual hosts you create.

And if anyone wants to implement similar features like Aventurine in the
normal BQ build, they are very welcome.
Actually Hisao showed me his virtualization work (also based on OpenVZ) last
summer at the Cobalt User Group/BQ conference in Nagano.

Maybe Hisao can let us all know if he continued his work in any way.

With regards,

Taco Scargo