Index: [Article Count Order] [Thread]

Date:  Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:35:05 +1000
From:  Daniel Pittman <daniel (at mark) rimspace.net>
Subject:  [coba-e:02601] Re: Content Managment Solution
To:  coba-e (at mark) bluequartz.org

On 11 Jul 2005, ernie (at mark) info.eis.net.au wrote:
> I am looking for a Content Management Solution (CMS) that is BlueQuartz
> friendly. Someone suggested to me to look at Mambo or Plone/Zope. Anyone
> tried these on BQ?

I have used Mambo on Cobalt, for a client of mine, but not on
BlueQuartz.[1]  I am not familiar with the Plone solution, but last time
I checked it required much heavier work that Mambo did.

> I could not find packages so I guess an install from source is
> required.

Well, Mambo can be installed by simply unpacking into the web folder of
the virtual host directly, and creating an appropriate MySQL database.

> The main concern is how easily a CMS can be set up for a a virtual
> site, and would it interfere with another virual site wanting to run
> the CMS as well?

It took me about three hours to write a simple script that would unpack
a Mambo tarball into the web directory of a virtual host, create the
MySQL database, then update the Mambo configuration .php file.

Mambo just runs like any other PHP database driven application, so it
pretty much just works.  No interference across virtual hosts, etc.

Anyway, between that and the number of other clients of mine running it
to manage their business websites, I would certainly recommend the Mambo
system to you.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I do IT consulting for a living.

--
It is a sin to believe evil of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
        -- H.L. Mencken