Index: [Article Count Order] [Thread]

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:00:35 +0100
From:  "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell (at mark) sitetronics.com>
Subject:  [coba-e:01691] Re: bwmgmt missing?
To:  coba-e (at mark) bluequartz.org

Yutaka Yasuda wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> At first, there is a technical reason why bandwidth management
> software is not included in current BlueQuartz 5100R release.
> It is depending on kernel 2.4 series, not for 2.6.
> Currently, we use FC1, so it is okay but I think it is not
> so good to continue to use kernel 2.4.
>
> I think it is better to port this software as 2.6 ready but we
> (current BlueQuartz team) have no human resource to do that...
>
> And the next, more delicate issue.. (It is difficult to explain
> in my limited English... Wmmmm...)
> I guess bandwidth management technology is the patent of Cobalt.
> I don't know the detail of the patent. I just heard it as a
> news a few years ago. So the source code itself is opened but
> the patent issue is not solved completely.
>
> And the last question. Turbolinux has their own CVS, see;
>
> http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~knaka/cgi-bin/internal/cvsweb.cgi
>
> There are a lot of code frangents but you can find base-alpine,
> base-am... and some modules in it. Please check it.
> I am not sure they release their software as SRPM style or not.
>
> I hope it does make sense for you.
> Regards,
>
> Yasu.

The technology is not patented and there are several freely available
bandwidth management platforms for Linux. Whether or not the license of
the code allows redistribution, I don't know. If the code was released
under the BSD license with the rest of what is in the BQ project, there
are no issues with this.

I am not sure what needs to be done to port this functionality to a 2.6
kernel, but I do think that it may end up being simpler to make a new
frontend for an existing bandwidth management tool.

--Devon