Index: [Article Count Order] [Thread]

Date:  Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:05:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject:  [coba-e:12486] How to upgrade packages (mysql, php, perl, etc.)
To:  coba-e (at mark) bluequartz.org

After NuOnce v4.8 installation, I ran "yum update" and the system updated some
packages but not the more crucial packages I was looking for.  Disappointed
that PHP was at 4.3.9, mysql was at 4.1.20, etc.  After some tinkering, I found
a way to update some of the packages like: apache, mysql, php, etc.

      shell> mysql --version
      shell> php --version
      shell> httpd -v

Now onto the upgrade, ssh into your system and become root, then:

1) Install the yum-plugin-priorities

   # yum install yum-plugin-priorities

2) Next, edit the file /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf and make certain
   it contains the below (it probably does)

   [main]
   enabled = 1
   check_obsoletes = 1

3) Edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and replace the "exclude"
   portion with the below (exclude= is one line) and [centoplus] enable=1:

   [base]
   exclude=nss_db* pam* pwdb* php* httpd* postgres* MySQL* mysql* perl
perl-DBD-MySQL perl-DBD-Pg perl-DBI perl-suidperl unixODBC* mod_auth_mysql
mod_auth_pgsql mod_perl mod_perl-devel mod_ssl
   priority=1

   [update]
   exclude=nss_db* pam* pwdb* php* httpd* postgres* MySQL* mysql* perl
perl-DBD-MySQL perl-DBD-Pg perl-DBI perl-suidperl unixODBC* mod_auth_mysql
mod_auth_pgsql mod_perl mod_perl-devel mod_ssl
   priority=1

   [centosplus]
   enable=1

4) Upgrade perl to 5.8.8, download the rpm from (below) and do a rpm -Uvh:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5593956/com/perl-5.8.8-5.el4s1_2.i386.rpm.html

   # rpm -Uvh perl-5.8.8-5.el4s1_2.i386.rpm

5) Finally run "yum update" and reply with "y" to install all the packages:

   # yum update

6) Confirm packages upgrade:

   # mysql --version
   # php --version
   # perl --version
   # httpd -v

I'm totally stoked I figured this out to extend some of the packages such as
mysql and php (no longer support as of 12/30/2007, except for security v4.4.8).
If you find this useful, excellent, but your mileage may vary.  Hopefully, I
have contributed back to the community in some way ;-)

Let us know how your upgrade does and/or feedback is welcome.

Regards,

Mike