Index: [Article Count Order] [Thread]

Date:  Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:40:15 +0100
From:  Dogsbody <dan (at mark) dogsbody.org>
Subject:  [coba-e:12409] Re: Pointing Virtual Sites
To:  coba-e (at mark) bluequartz.org

>> I prefer to make it manually than delegate it to some one else. :)
>
> It is manual if you use GoDaddy. I'm moving some of my DNS over to them as
> one advantage is having DNS on another network. If there is a problem with
> my server or my host's network, my DNS doesn't disappear.

Dan is absolutely right that you should serve your DNS from a separate
location than your server so if your server goes down your DNS is
still live.  This is essential for your running an MX backup otherwise
you have a backup mailserver but know one knows were it is because
your DNS is down.

However, there is still no problem at all with using BQ as the primary
DNS server.  While I run all my own servers and pay an ISP to host
them I also buy MX backup and Secondary DNS from another ISP, it's
dirt cheap 20 per year and some server ISPs I've seen even offer
offsite secondary DNS as part of the hosting fee.

Just my 0.02 GBP

Dan